Adapted from a recipe by Fleur de Sel. Perfect for breakfast, with soups or as a snack any time of day.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, diced
- 1 cup grated Gruyère cheese
- 2 teaspoons freshly cracked black DRØM Pepper
- 1 cup half and half (set aside 1 tablespoon to brush the tops of the scones)
- Maldon sea salt or other flaky sea salt
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
Mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in large bowl. Add chilled butter; using fingertips, rub in until coarse meal forms.
Mix in cheese and black pepper. Add the cream (minus 1 tablespoon for brushing the tops of the scones). Toss with fork until dough comes together in moist clumps.
Gather dough into ball; then press into an 8-inch cake pan. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and cut the dough into 8 wedges, using a sharp knife.
Transfer wedges to baking sheet. Brush with cream and sprinkle each scone with sea salt. Bake until golden, about 22 minutes.
And then comes the hardest part: cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes. Serve warm.